Sunday, April 3, 2011

Why I Loathe Zach Braff

Questions have been raised about the loathworthiness of Zach Braff, causing me to resurrect my first online rant on the topic. It is, obviously, just that - a rant, no more, no less. As far as Nick Hornby is concerned, there are other works of his that I enjoyed a lot. I have highlighted the material pertinent to my loathing of Z.B. in boldface. Possibly I have way too much time on my hands and really should go to bed now.

High FidelityHigh Fidelity by Nick Hornby

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Nick Hornby writes about losers and makes them lovable. But not this time. I couldn't stand the self-pitying little git, his loser wanker record store buddies, nor their ridiculous fracking lists. Reading this book felt like being trapped in an elevator with the pathetic Scrubs douchebag (Zachy McWhinerson, or whatever his fracking name is) for an entire weekend. You know the type - the constant puppy need for the approval of every critter on the planet, all the time. It might seem like a charming vulnerability, but don't be fooled. It actually signals a pathological narcissist whose solipsism and incessant neediness will bleed you dry.

I know, I know. Many fine books have been written about unlikable characters. Anyway, it's about the character's emotional growth. Etc. etc.

All true. But when you find the central character so annoying that just reading about him makes you twitch, it's probably time to switch to another book.

Your mileage may vary. For all I know, you're the kind of person who watches marathon "Scrubs" reruns. If so, you'll probably love this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment