Monday, March 14, 2011

Exhausted, but in a good way

Today was the first day of school. I have been placed at level B2.2, which corresponds roughly to advanced intermediate. This is a bit of a stretch, which may explain my catatonic state when I got home. Nothing that can't be cured by food and a good night's sleep, I hope.

I like the school a lot, and my classmates seem like a dynamic, interesting bunch. Promising, once I can summon up the energy to hang out and socialize. Which really wasn't an option today, I was so exhausted. But it's early days.

French TV is terrific, and will be very helpful, I think. As a blogger, one is always in search of that "only in..." moment, the one that one imagines providing a greater insight into the culture at large. With that thought in mind, I'm still unsure of what to make of yesterday's broadcast, bracketed at beginning and end by appeals to help those Japanese people affected by the terrible earthquake. Surely someone in charge of programming might have figured that it really wasn't the best timing to broadcast a documentary, no matter how historically valuable, on "the Rape of Nanking". The juxtaposition was startling, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment