Sunday, March 18, 2012

Only 14 weeks of Parisian bliss left

Not that I'm one to rub it in. Nosiree, Bob, not me!

Today was a nice lazy day. I've been having difficulty sleeping since I got here and last night was no exception. I finally drifted off around 5am, didn't make it out of bed until 11am. But then I basically walked all over the city (stupidly forgot my camera), to try to tire myself out for tonight.

I may, however, have sabotaged myself by going to see "La Dame en Noire" at the Rex at 22:00. (Or, if you prefer, "Harry Potter and the Woman in Black") The good news - apparently this is the "weekend of the cinema" all across Paris, so tickets to everything were a uniform price of 3.50 Euro. Further good news - the movie was pretty damned good; once you bought into its creepy Gothic-horror logic, it was very well done.

The bad news -- it scared the bejasus out of me. So now I am sitting here, sipping Sancerre, trying to screw up my courage to turn out the lights and go to bed.

In the meantime, here is another fine cat poem for your amusement:

JUSTICE

You expect, Puss-in-Boots
to go on treating my house
as your house
after treating my pet partridge
as a comestible?

No, pet partridge!
Over the bones of his treat
the cat shall be slain,
and you honored in blood rite:
as Pyrrhus, recall,
(rightfully) slew
Polyxena
over the corpse of Achilles.

(Agathias, translated by Peter Whigham)

No comments:

Post a Comment