Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shakespeare and Company

For the most part, I've been very restrained about buying books here in Paris. But this afternoon Paddy and I went to Shakespeare and Company, so I allowed myself to splurge a little bit.







I bought a fine new translation of Rilke's poetry (the only decent English translation I have found so far, by someone called Edward Snow). Then, for just an additional 3 Euros, I picked up a copy of the November 1971 edition of "Encounter", which was apparently an English literary magazine of that era. At the time it sold for the whopping sum of 35 pence. Here is a photo of the ad on its back cover, which - needless to say - I find completely hilarious:




I especially like the smartly outfitted lady in the bottom center panel, who tells us

There's imagination in Pan Am menus. I like this new thing of serving the food of the country you're going to. That's a nice idea.
Not to mention the gentleman on her right, who finds it "very civilised" that Pan Am sets aside a section of their 747 for non-smokers.

Those were the days.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I actually had hair like the guy on the top right in 1971.

    ReplyDelete